Sunday 2 October 2022

Update on my content and future direction

This is the hardest post I've had to write in a long time.




As anyone who follows me will no doubt already be aware Privateer Press announced Mk4 for Warmachine.

Warmachine has been my "main" game for the last 10 years or more, so obviously this is a big deal.

My local meta however has been shrinking since Mk3 launched, we tried so hard to reinvigorate it, with a mix of competitive and casual events and leagues. However, for various reasons too numerous and complicated to get into here we haven't been able to grow the game.

Unfortunately, the announcement of mk4 has sealed Warmachines fate in my area, no one I know is planning to play it anymore.

Over the last 6 years, I've been retraining to get myself out of a cycle of dead-end jobs. I completed my degree late last year but it meant my hobby budget has been almost nonexistent the last few years relying on my generous Patrons and Twich subs has been the only thing keeping me limping along.

So when my marriage ended just over a year ago it wasn't the best for me financially or emotionally.

Now, as I have a kid I have to pay the costs of a multi-room home for when shes with me, but a portion of my income obviously goes to my daughter via her mum. (As it should do) 

All of this combines to make it so I simply can't afford to buy into a game that doesn't have an active player base in my area.

I don't say any of this for sympathy, nor am I asking for help. I just feel that the people who have supported me over the years or read and enjoyed what I do deserve to at least know and understand where I'm coming from with my choice.

Going forward I will not be reviewing any new Privateer Press minis as I have no plans to buy them, I simply cannot afford to spend on a game that isn't being played near me.

I will continue to paint up the stuff I already own, this includes the following large projects:

I will finish painting my Gators, the bulk of this army's troops come from the Widowers Wood game, so I have no plans to get rid of this army as there aren't as many minis in it and they will be useful in the IKRPG.

I will finish converting and painting my custom Pirate army. I will also keep this, as there are so many custom minis in this army and they work so well for IKRPG (which I frequently set in Five Fingers)

I will create the dioramas I have had planned for years (follow my Patreon to see the teaser mock-up pictures of these upcoming projects)

I will finish painting the rest of Riot Quest. This is essentially a self-contained game, which I already play with non wargaming friends.

I have small amounts of minis from most factions, mostly old or damaged models other people didn't want which I plan to paint up for use in the IKRPG. I still plan on finishing them.

So in terms of my content going forward, there will be a change, although not too much given how few tactics articles I've managed to write since my life has been a mess...

While I'm on the subject of articles... I had so many wip articles. Due to my dyslexia it takes me ages to write them,,, and given how I pretty much only get comments on posts when I make a mistake it is demoralising to get my only comments to be about SPAG (spelling and grammar) so I take even longer to make sure they are perfect. This has led to many many articles never being finished and for that I'm sorry. As these all revolve around mk3 rules and tactics they will never be finished, it just isn't worth it to spend the time writing about the previous edition.

Going forward I'm choosing not to care about spelling and such though!



And finally my Cygnar army... this has been a tough one for me.


It's a complicated mix of issues for me... With no one to play against and my financial issues not getting any better lately I feel more and more conflicted about keeping hold of them.

Every time I look at them I feel depressed as I poured so much of myself into painting and converting them, writing about them, and discussing their tactics and uses with you all online for countless hours.

I have been thinking about this a lot over the last few months and I've decided I need to let them go...

It's a truly huge army well over 400 models most of them painted. I think it's about 1400 points?
It's likely the most photographed (and shared online) Cygnar army in the world! Or at least I imagine so...

If you would like to own this army and give it the home it deserves, as well as own a piece of my heart please reach out to me via any social media platform. Retail value is over $4000 apparently! (Don't tell my ex-wife!) I know no one would give me that much for it but anything I can get is better than nothing as I've bills to pay and I feel I need it gone to be able to move on emotionally.

Oh and if someone does want it and wants the last Morrowan models painted to match the rest of it I would be happy to discuss that.


I hope this post finds you well. Happy wargaming, and I'll see you soon.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck and Godspeed Luck God, we are better for having known ye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only stumbled across your blog this morning and I loved the content. To then read this this post brought such a sense of loss for you that I really thought that I ought to comment.

    I really get the whole pouring your heart into an army, over the years I have had quite a few.

    I will now be following your blog and wish you all the best in whatever direction you now decide to take your hobby time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Andrew, I hope you enjoy all the posts Ive done on here over the years.

      Delete
  3. Your articles have always been a good read. It's sad that the game has been messed up and pretty much ret conned.
    Hopefully you feel up to it to show off the other miniatures you have been working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, I will be sure to keep posting when I've painted minis to share

      Delete
  4. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn. Been a silent reader of yours for ages and this makes me very sad. As a fellow swan not seeing your articles is such a loss to the hobby. I hope you find prosperity and success in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also a silent, appreciative, reader. That's a lovely army, and I wish you good fortune going forward

    ReplyDelete