Sunday 3 November 2019

Model Review: Soul Stalker


So I have to start this review with a disclaimer... 

I'm very biased about this model, ever since I saw the artwork for the Soul Stalker in the Monsternomicon for the Iron Kingdoms RPG I thought it would make an amazing mini and now it exists! 


The main bulk of the upright part of this eldritch snake demon is really well detailed with bone like segmented plating and tentacles coming out of the top/back of it.


There are tiny little claw like legs along the edges of the segmented armour as well.


The tentacles are really well cast. The way the all weave in different directions and in between each other is really impressive, they could very easily have just had them all in a more uniform pattern but didn't. 



The base of the Soul Stalker includes a poor Trencher who is having his soul sucked out of his body! I will for sure be painting the Trencher to match my Cygnar army.


Little curly tail to end the creature.



The head of the Soul Stalker is combined with the soul it is collecting from the Trencher, using its facial tentacles to draw it out.


The back side of this piece has a few connection points to attach some metal parts.


This is the lower half of the Trenchers soul along with a couple of the tentacles tips, it fits directly on the bottom of the resin head part. I did have to gently bend the tips of the soul so that they didn't bump into the Trencher part of the base and not allow the whole model to fit together well.



These two parts fit onto the back of the head part and are easy enough to figure out which goes where due to the different type of connection point each has. I did pin both of these to ensure that they stayed on.



Here is the Soul Stalker fully assembled! It wasn't the easiest model I have assembled, but given how dynamic the pose I think the extra complexity in assembly is a trade well worth making for such a beautiful model.




Every angle gives you something different to see on this mini, it really is a treat. I am nervous about painting it though, especially give how the soul and the tentacles are woven together.





I will have to do some slight gap filling for the joins between the metal and resin parts. You might be able to get away with not doing this but for me I want it to really look its best as a display piece.

Overall the quality of this sculpt is amazing, there was some cleanup in model lines and resin flashing, but it was minimal. I can fully recommend any IKRPG GM pick up one of these!
I guess Infernal players might want a couple as well...


This is the artwork from the Monsternomicon I mentioned earlier, I will be trying my best to match my colour choices to this art as I think its an awesome look for it. Otherworldly and sinister looking to the extreme!

Hopefully I can do it justice! I should mention I only own this because Mark of England Knights WTC fame gave me his store credit from a tournament we both attended!

What do you think of the Soul Stalker?

If you want one for yourself you can pick one up via my affliate link here (from The Outpost, UK webstore)

No comments:

Post a Comment