Sunday 23 February 2020

Model Review: Captain Crawtooth


Today we are going to take a look at Captain Crawtooth, this review comes with a disclaimer - I was sold on the idea of this model when I first saw the artwork. The fact that he also works for both Gators and Pirates (I own both of them) really peaked my interest.

Crawtooth comes in three parts, a resin body and metal leg and the rope and hook are also metal.


The main body is very detailed, the scales are nicely done as is his sailors coat.



I love the detail of having the coat have a hole torn in it with his back plate scales poking through. Its an awesome detail to include as well as that the shape of the coat is visually stretched over the rest of the back plates as well.


There are resin injection ports on his tail and right foot as well as the bottom part of his right sleeve which means that even if you don't clean them up perfectly its less visible which is great.


Having his mouth open like that, with all the teeth as well cast as they are is really impressive. I would have expected either the upper or lower jaw to be a separate metal part, so they fact they got it all in one piece is fantastic. 


I love the details on his coat and hat, I also want to know who's it was originally? Anyone important?
Only Hungerford knows I guess...


The left leg is a seperate metal part which also has the bottom part of the coat.


There is a small amount of excess metal attached which can be cut off easily. No noticeable mould lines here.



The hook and rope also has both of his hands, its a metal piece which has some light mould lines on the rope. They came off with a few seconds of filing.


I'm tempted to try to paint the hook like Maui's hook from Moana, not sure how possible that will be with my skill level but I'll give it a go.


And here he is fully assembled! I have a lot of love for this model, I think it looks fantastic and fits in well with the aesthetics of Blindwater and Talion themes as well as Riot Quests.





And here is the scale shot with Professor Pendrake, Crawtooth is a big lad but not overly so.

I'm really looking forward to painting him up and using him in both Riot Quest and in Minions. I am a little disappointed that there isn't a compelling reason to play him in the Talion theme though.

If you want to pick him up for yourself you can find him here from The Outpost (UK webstore I'm affiliated with)

No comments:

Post a Comment