Friday 13 March 2020

Model Review: Legion of Lost Souls


Today we take a look at the Legion of Lost Souls, a Morrowan Mercenary unit which is also Partisan Cygnar. 
This new unit has been in the setting since the old D20 Iron Kingdoms RPG days so its really cool to see them on the table as models!

Privateer Press sent me these models to review, paint and try out so big thanks to them!



These are the two different sculpts for the grunts who hold halberds. Their armour looks like a mixture of Precursor knights and Trenchers visually. They have a lot of damaged chain mail, which is really nicely cast. 



Its a little tricky to see with just bare metal due to the glare, but one sculpt has a closed jaw while the other has an open mouth.



The third grunt sculpt is on the left and the leader model is on the right. The grunt sculpt here is the one armed with a sword.





This is the worst mould line in the whole unit of ten models, and it really isn't that bad, it took me a few minutes to clean up all of the bodies.


The leader model is slightly taller and has a great coat as well as extra detail on their shoulder pads.





The weapons for the grunts. The swords come with the shoulder pad attached, which makes it a really easy part to attach. Its an oval shaped plug that slots into the body really easily.
The halberd is quite thin and they all had slight mould lines running down both sides of the weapons shafts. It took me quite a while to file them off as I was being extra careful not to bend the part while filing.



The shields are pretty big, at least compared to the shields Precursor knights have. The detail on them is great and they didn't require much clean up except a few had some flashing on the bottom which comes off easily with a craft knife.


You could pin these if you wanted, I chose not to both to save time and see how well they stay connected. I've had one fall off in the time it took me to add basing material and brush undercoat them which isn't too bad.


And here they are all fully assembled! They look really good as a unit, and rank up next to each other better than a lot of units with long melee weapons.


I was concerned about how well the halberds would attach given how small the hands are I didn't feel confident pinning them. Luckily who ever designed them had this in mind it seems! The halberds touch the base on both poses, so there are two attachment points. I fully recommend putting a dab of glue on the bottom of the weapon where it touches the base. 





The sword wielding versions look really cool, I posed this grunt as per the box art, but each other grunt I changed the angle of the shoulder to make them all look just a little different.




Here they are next to Professor Pendrake for scale, they are slightly larger than him but not enough to be outside the standard variety of humans.

If you would like to pick some of these up for yourself you can find them here from The Outpost (UK webstore I'm affiliated with)
I'm really excited to try them out in a Stryker2 list, I bought a second unit of them as well so that I can run two units at once. They are FA3 so you can run 3 units, but I've not come up with a list with 3 units yet. If you have a cool list with 3 units of them in send it to me! I'd be interested to see what you come up with.


No comments:

Post a Comment