Tuesday 9 March 2021

Model Review: Dread Harvester Isaiah


Today we take a look at Dread Harvester Isaiah a Grymkin cavalry solo.
This model was sent to me to review by Privateer Press.


It comes in seven parts one of these is resin.


The front half of the "horse" is the resin part. It is amazingly detailed and just a bit horrifying the more I look at it. Between the exposed ribs and the horses head with a persons head coming out of its mouth with a pumpkin head coming out of that mouth in some sort of nightmarish Russian nesting doll of heads within mouths... 
You can see the attachment point for the front left leg here which attaches easily. You could pin it if you wanted but I didn't mind it necessary. 


The attachment point for the riders upper body is really wide and curved which guides the torso into facing the right way. There is a large resin injection port at the attachment point to the horses rear legs. This needs cutting off and carefully trimming around the large peg which fits into the rear legs.




There are slight mould lines and flash on the underside of the leg and under the chin of the "horse". A gentle scrape with a hobby knife cleaned it up easily.



I was slightly unfortunate that the front right hoof had broken off during transport. The bottom of this hoof also has a resin injection port which is easy to trim off and clean up due to being a flat surface.
It did glue back on easy enough though.


The legs are well cast with only slight mould lines which I was able to remove quickly enough.





The left front leg and the tail are nicely made, the leg attaches easier than the tail but still both don't need to be pinned if you don't feel the need.



The upper body has a really nicely sculpted pumpkin head




You can see some light mould lines here, they do cross over the wrappings on the arm which is a pain but they came off easy enough.


The attachment point can be seen clearer here than on the resin horse part. You can see how it helps line up the pieces  


The scythe is very characterful. It has small pumpkins around the top of the shaft and a spike pokes through a skull at the bottom. 




Though the attachment point is pretty good with an oval peg I wasn't sure it would be enough to keep the part on if knocked during a game so I pinned it.


The unmounted version has lost its head!






Its arm is holding out the pumpkin head for the world to see! This is nicely sculpted with great definition on all of the fingers and such.



Like the other arm I pinned this one just to be sure, though this one is less likely to break off in my mind.


And here they are fully assembled.










And here is the scale shot with Professor Pendrake. The mounted version really looks like its straight out of a movie poster or the cover of a Goosebumps book! Its very dynamic model which fits in the the faction aesthetic very well.


And finally I thought I would try something new! 
Using money from my generous supporters over at Patreon I purchased a rotating display stand. I like to put the money form supporters back into improving the content I make.
I'm hoping to get better at making these over time, one thing I know I want to save for is a better camera (I currently use my phone).
Please let me know what you think of this addition to my model reviews. 
I also plan to make similar videos for painted model articles.
With that in mind I have another question for you - should I go back and make these videos for models I have already painted?

If you want to pick them up for yourself you can find them here at The Outpost (a UK webstore I'm affiliated with)


If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article.


See you all next time!

4 comments: