Friday 13 November 2020

Model Review: Malvin and Mayhem Boss Fight Expansion


Today we take a look at Malvin & Mayhem, which is a fighter class hero AND a special boss fight mode in Riot Quest and a Mercenary/Minion Warjack in Warmachine and Hordes.
It comes in 9 metal parts and also includes the rules and special boss card deck as well as the hero cards for Riot Quest



The torso is a big chunk of metal! Loads of rivetted on sheets of metal have been added to repair past damage. Its not like you can keep a Warjack looking factory fresh in the apocalypse! 


The arm connection points are generous and fairly deep so should hold the arms on nicely.


The boiler on the back doesn't look similar to other warjacks, I'm thinking its possible that Malvin has figured out a way to power it more efficiently perhaps? Its not like piles of coal are going to be as easily accessible right?


Waist and head connections are also decent, likely neither will need pinning. 



This is the top of the torso where the smoke stacks attach.


Here are the two arms, the left arm (pictured on the right here) is slightly goofy looking in my opinion but not enough to be a deal breaker.









The legs each have differently styled armour plating which really adds to the "bodged together" look this warjack has going on.







The smoke stacks don't seem to have a left or right side. I think you could use either way round. I dry fitted them on both sides and couldn't tell a difference.




Mayhem's head is tilted to one side and has a comical unibrow and single eye, giving it a cyclops look to it.





The control sticks have one of Malvins hands attached holding a lever. I found them to be a bit tricky to get them all lined up without one part falling off. In the end I found it was best to let Malvin himself be fully glued on and set then glue on the control sticks and bend the lever to fit his hand onto his arm.



Malvin really has a mad scientist look to him, long coat and eye magnifiers/lens. He is seated in a chair which is mounted atop Mayhems hull.





Slight mould lines run across this model, but not too bad.



Here he is fully assembled!










For size comparison here he is with some other Heavy Warjacks I had to hand at the time as well as a light Warjack (below). He really is small... I do wish they had scaled him up just a little bit.



As you can see here Malvin is tiny even for a Gobber! I'm not sure if this is a story based choice or a physical model casting decision, either way just something I thought I would point out 


And here is the customary scale shot with Professor Pendrake!

I really like Malvin and Mayhem as a concept and their rules are great fun, however the model I personally find to be a little lacking if I'm honest. I wish it was bigger and had a similar "presence" as the other character Heavy Warjacks.

It would have been nice if the kit was a resin and metal kit with the larger parts like the torso being resin.

I did consider taking some of the unique parts from this kit and attaching them onto a larger Warjack chassis such as a Khador Juggernaught. I also considered converting up parts to represent its rules such as retractable shield and the booster jets for its flight and flame trail rules. 
Ultimately I decided not to as I already have far to many projects already...

I find the Boss Fight mode to be really fun and will be streaming it again on my Twitch channel (Which you can find here, click "follow" to get notified of when I got live!)
I do look forward to trying the boss fight with 4 players once the world is in a state to allow that!


If you want to pick them up for yourself you can find them here at The Outpost (a UK webstore I'm affiliated with)


If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article.

See you all next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment