Sunday 7 March 2021

Model Review: Defiled Archon


Today we take a look at the Defiled Archon, a solo for Grymkin. 
This model was sent to me to review by Privateer Press.


It comes in six parts, three of which are resin and three metal.


The body is one large resin piece, it is really nicely detailed with crisp casting on all the parts. It does suffer from a mould line down one side, but we will get to that in a bit.



These resin supports allowed the cloak to be as flowing as dynamic as possible while also being one piece. They are well done really. I found them quite easy to remove with a sharp hobby knife. 


This side of the flowing cloth has that mould line I mentioned earlier. It was a tricky one to remove but I managed it eventually using a sharp hobby knife.



The connection point for the right arm (which holds the spear) has a resin injection port which needs cutting off. Great place to put it as it will be completely hidden once assembled.


The attachment point for the left arm (the fist) is very well cast and attaches easily.


The attachment point for the head is decent enough to not "need" pinning. But I chose to pin it anyway just to be sure!



The spear arm is nicely done, and not bent! I've had a lot of bendy spear shafts over the years (insert joke here) but this one is solid! I did pin this at the shoulder joint just to make sure it doesn't come off as I imagine its easy to accidentally knock the spear during a game.




There are some wax seals with parchment attached to them on the book. 



The head and left arm are nicely cast with minimal mould lines. Lovely crisp detail on the armour plates.
The face reminds me of the Heretic Warlock's.



The connection point for the arm is really secure and lines up the arm to fit nicely.


The wings come on these resin "sprues". I recommend cutting slightly further out from the wings themselves and trimming closer using a knife.


The wings are amazingly detailed. Between the bone of the wings, the skin with tortured faces stitched together it looks like it would be an absolute treat to paint! 



There is also a resin injection port on the attachment point of the wings to the body. Be very careful when removing this to not cut too much away and make it harder to attach the wings to the body.







Again the attachment point for the wings has excess resin, the bump on the end of the wing part is meant to be there it combines with the bump on the other wing to "slot" into the body.


And here it is fully assembled. 




The wings attach in the same way as the ones on the Morrowan and Thamarite Archons, which means that should you want to you could magnetise them. I wrote a guide showing how to do this which would work just the same for this Archon.
You can find it here.


And here is a scale shot with Professor Pendrake. The Defiled Archon is much bigger than I originally expected from the preview pictures! 
Though there is a fair amount of clean up required on this mini the quality of the sculpt and how it will look on the table far make up for it. 


And finally I thought I would try something new! 
Using money from my generous supporters over at Patreon I purchased a rotating display stand. I like to put the money from supporters back into improving the content I make.
I'm hoping to get better at making these over time, one thing I know I want to save for is a better camera (I currently use my phone).
Please let me know what you think of this addition to my model reviews. 
I also plan to make similar videos for painted model articles.
With that in mind I have another question for you - should I go back and make these videos for models I have already painted?


If you want to pick them up for yourself you can find them here at The Outpost (a UK webstore I'm affiliated with)


If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article.


See you all next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment