Saturday 7 December 2019

Model Review: Grand Master Gabriel Throne


Today I'm taking a look at Grand Master Gabriel Throne the new Morrowan cavalry solo.
I was sent this model to review by Privateer Press, so big thanks to them!


The horse comes in two main parts divided just after the seat of the saddle.
The resin casting is of a really high quality in this model, really crisp details which are quite deep in various places like around the riders leg.


The leg is built into the same piece as the horse on the left side, which is different from all the other cavalry models I have assembled from Privateer Press which typically had separate lower body/legs part which often haven't fit onto the horse well. (Mainly thinking about my Storm Lances here)


Here you can see the gap where the right leg (which is attached to the upper body) will sit.


Nice area for the front leg to attach. There is another resin port on the bottom of that foot, which I didn't really notice on my first look over the model. I caught it when I was cleaning the model though.


There are a couple of resin injection areas here which need cleaning up, one on the seat of the saddle which will be covered by the rider once he is attached, the other is in the join between the front and back halves of the horse. This is perfect, even if I mess up removing them no one would ever know as they are both hidden.


The back half of the horse, which has its injection ports on the top of the bedroll attached to the back half of the saddle, easy enough to remove.




The hole where the tail attaches. I dry fitted mine and found it felt a bit loose and worried about how securely it would attach so I pinned this.


The metal legs are well cast and fit well to the model. I didn't feel the need to pin these since they fit so well.


The main body of the rider. All the detail is perfect with nearly no mold lines at all, really pleased with this.



I had only seen the model from the other side when seeing pictures of it only, so I had no idea his cape would be old and tattered with a huge morrowan radiance on it. This is a lovely detail which was a great surprise.



The tail had slight mold line which was largely hidden by the hair strand detail, all but in one place where the mold line crossed the detail.


The sword are is really nicely detailed and fits perfectly onto the body with no issues at all. Didn't feel the need to pin this either... recently this has been a trend for me with newer PP releases. I used to pin everything but lately its less and less.



And here the model is fully assembled. Or so it might seem... I haven't actually glued the rider to the horse as I think it will be a lot easier to paint in sub-assemblies something which I don't typically do but the find detail of the model makes me feel like I should do my best to paint it as well as I can.


The front leg had a peg on the bottom of the foot which on other models meant I would typically cut a hole in the base to slot it into. When I tried this I found the back legs hung far off the back of the base. So I ended up cutting the peg off and gluing both flat feet onto the base, which worked fine though I did have to shave down the front lip of the base a touch to get him to fit.







Overall this is a stunning model which I am really looking forward to painting. I think most Cygnar and Mercenary players are going to want this model for his rules, and end up getting a really cool model in their army!

I hope you found this review helpful. Please feel free to contact me with any feedback you might have, its always great to hear from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment