Monday 21 March 2022

Discworld Death Diorama


I while ago I finished up this mini diorama of Death from the Discworld in the novel Soul Music.
This was a unique project for me because it was the first thing I have made purely as a gift, I made it for my sisters birthday. 


This is the artwork I was trying to emulate, using one of the miniatures by Micro art studio. 
I had never painted a backdrop for a project before, so it was a new experience which I was both excited and nervous about trying. It might not be as perfect as someone better at painting but I'm happy with how its turned out.



I also was trying painting black cloth with purple as a highlight for the first time. I was really pleased with the end result and enjoyed the process of gradually building it up.




I came across an issue part way through making this, that I was putting so much effort into painting the back of the miniature that potentially would never be seen.
I decided to try and make the mountain top Death is stood on rotate. I tried really hard to find a small turntable and in the end used a small lego one, it's a little wobbly but it does the job.






This whole thing was incredibly difficult to photograph with the amateur equipment I have. I took these pictures before gluing the clear plastic front onto the diorama (which I'm hoping will keep the dust out).


I added some quotes to add a personal touch.

(my sister, like Death has a fondness for cats)

So what do you think of this mini diorama? I really hope my sister likes it as much as I enjoyed making it for her.
I've a few more Discworld dioramas planned for the future so give me a follow if you want to see them!

If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article as well as some wip content.
Even if it's just $1 it really helps me out!

See you all next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment