Friday 2 April 2021

Model Review: Death Archon


Today we take a look at the Death Archon, a Mercenary/Minion solo for Warmachine and Hordes.
This model was sent to me to review by Privateer Press


The model comes in eight pieces three of which are resin, the rest are metal.


The main resin body is really nicely detailed with deep folds in the cloth and between the ribcage.


There is a resin support between the back of the model and the tip of its trailing cloth. This needs clipping off and shaving clean. It didn't take too long at all.
There are resin injection ports on the bottom of the model which clip off easily.




The two dents the wings attach into are nicely done, I dry fitted the wings and they seemed like they would attach securely.


I think this model will be a treat to paint, so many interesting details adorn the main body.



You can wee the attachment point for the hourglass here just below the hip armour plate.


The wings come on a resin sprue, like I always say - I recommend that you clip these off slightly further away from the part itself and then use a knife to clean it up carefully.


The wings are really nicely sculpted there is tons of webbing skin detail which will take various highlights during painting beautifully.



Be extra careful cleaning up the ends of the wings where they attach to the body, you don't want to cut off too much and make it harder to fit into the body.





The two arms holding the poles for the weapons, these did have mould lines running down both of them sadly which given the spine bone detail took a while to file off.





The blades of the scythes are quite large and have a skull detail on the end which connects with the pole. I have seen people glue these on in both the possible directions which allows for some posing.





It has an hourglass which fits onto its left hip. There is a small amount of rope texture in one side of the top part, this is the side which faces outward.



Here it is fully assembled.







And here is the scale shot with Professor Pendrake. Its size is on par if not larger than some of the other Archons I have assembled.
The Death Archon is a stunning miniature with great details and is really nicely produced. 
I've already seen some amazing paint jobs of this model out in the community and I look forward to painting it up myself when I can.


And finally I thought I would try something new! 
Using money from my generous supporters over at Patreon I purchased a rotating display stand. I like to put the money form supporters back into improving the content I make.
I'm hoping to get better at making these over time, one thing I know I want to save for is a better camera (I currently use my phone).
Please let me know what you think of this addition to my model reviews. 
I also plan to make similar videos for painted model articles.
With that in mind I have another question for you - should I go back and make these videos for models I have already painted?


If you want to pick them up for yourself you can find them here at The Outpost (a UK webstore I'm affiliated with)

If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article.
Even if its just $1 it really helps me out

See you all next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment