Tuesday 20 July 2021

House Ellowuyr Warden Executioner: Model Review


Today we take a look at the House Ellowuyr Warden Executioner who is an Retribution of Scyrah solo for Warmachine and Hordes.
It comes in 4 metal parts.



The main bulk (and I do mean bulk) is in the body of the model with attached cape. This is the heaviest metal part I've handled in quite a while! Although the pictures show the metal to look grainy this is not how it feels so don't let that concern you. The sculpt is crisp and detailed and fits well with the look of the Warden unit but with extra flair which sets it apart. 


At first glance the attachment points for the arms look tiny but there are cuts into the cape which support the shoulder of the arm part nicely. I did not pin this model though I would recommend you to pin yours if you are heavy handed with your minis.


Plenty of scope for free hand painting on the cap and even the large stretched hexagon armour plates if you wanted to add something different.



A large hole in the top of the torso in which the head and neck armour fit nicely. No need to pin this really.


The cape really is chunky, I like the way the armour plates on the back of it are not extended through to the front. It really sells the idea they are attached on one side.


The arms are very similar though with different posing of the arms to allow the weapons to be held around that huge cloak! I'm not sure if the left hand axe shaft is meant to be bent like that, I've seen some strange Retribution weapons so I wasn't sure.
I really like the carved effects on the axe heads, they are crisp and well cast.



These shoulder weapons are an interesting look and fit in with the look of the faction.



I really like the fine detail in the helmets horn, its beautifully cast.




And here they are fully assembled.






And here is the scale shot with Professor Pendrake, about right for a heavily armoured warrior.
This is a nicely made if heavy miniature, I honestly expected the main body to be made of resin but I'm sure the casting team at Privateer Press have their reasons for it being fully metal. 
It has hardly any mould lines and the ones it had were very slight. The one criticism I have of this model is the lack of pose-ability for a solo which is field allowance four. Having four identical solos in my army would annoy me personally.


And finally I thought I would try something new! 
Using money from my generous supporters over at Patreon I purchased a rotating display stand. I like to put the money form supporters back into improving the content I make.
I'm hoping to get better at making these over time, one thing I know I want to save for is a better camera (I currently use my phone).
Please let me know what you think of this addition to my model reviews. 
I also plan to make similar videos for painted model articles.
With that in mind I have another question for you - should I go back and make these videos for models I have already painted?

If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article.
Even if its just $1 it really helps me out

See you all next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment