Sunday 18 July 2021

House Ellowuyr Wardens: Model Review


Today we take a look at House Ellowuyr Wardens who are Retribution of Scyrah unit for Warmachine and Hordes.
The unit comes in 16 metal parts.
These models were sent to me by Privateer Press to review. (Sorry to them for how long its taken me to get round to writing this, my lifes been a mess)



These are the parts that make up the unit leader who's assembly is different from the rest of the unit.




The contact point for the waist attachment is a simple bump/dent style which works well and didn't feel like it needed pinning.


The cape is smooth and well flowing, I imagine it would be a great surface to try some free hand painting if you have any skill at that.



The connection point for the shoulders and arms is round on the back and is pretty easy to attach. The left arm has the two sticking out back pack style parts.





The right arm holding the weapon some people might find it worth pinning in place. I didn't have any issues gluing it, but if you expect it to be handled roughly in game it might be worth it for you to pin this.




These are the two different sculpts for the grunts in the unit.


Very large attachment points on the backs of their torsos.


There is a small amount of flashing behind the horn on the helmet. This was easy enough to remove with a sharp hobby knife.



These upper back torsos also have the upper arms attached to them and have two different sculpts.
I did test fit both of them on each body to see if I could mix and match them to make four different grunts. Sadly they only fit on the body they were designed for, though to be honest this is what I expected - I just wanted to see if it could be done for variety.



Very slight mould lines on this part, they took me a few seconds to remove.


There are slight mould lines on all the shafts of the weapons, these too a few minutes to remove from them all using a small hobby file. These do fit relatively well but it might be worth pinning them if you are rough handling your minis!



And here they are fully assembled


The leader has that traditional "directing the troops" pose. I did also notice after assembling them all that the leader model has a longer helmet horn with engraved details which is a nice touch.
I really like how the cape is not melded into the legs due to them being separate parts this is a really nice touch by the sculptor and producer.





Scale shot with Professor Pendrake


The two grunt types have nice poses, they look like they are about to do horizontal and vertical swipes respectively.




Over all I think this unit is really nicely sculpted and the quality is great, barely any mould lines and they were easy to assemble.


And finally I thought I would try something new! 
Using money from my generous supporters over at Patreon I purchased a rotating display stand. I like to put the money form supporters back into improving the content I make.
I'm hoping to get better at making these over time, one thing I know I want to save for is a better camera (I currently use my phone).
Please let me know what you think of this addition to my model reviews. 
I also plan to make similar videos for painted model articles.
With that in mind I have another question for you - should I go back and make these videos for models I have already painted?

If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article.
Even if its just $1 it really helps me out

See you all next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment