Thursday 5 September 2019

Model review: Steelhead Ironhead & Scallywag


I have a couple of models to review for you today! The Steelhead Ironhead solo, and Scallywag - Shae's character light Warjack


The model comes in four parts as you can see here


The first thing you might notice is that the body is made of metal, this is because I live in the UK. A lot of the models which are resin in the US end up being metal here. 


There is some lovely detail in the legs and hips with all the connecting tubes and pipes which power the suit.


The boiler is nicely detailed with realistic connections to the hoses powering the rest of the suit.



Slight mold lines run across the top of the armour, nothing a file can't deal with



The clamp is pretty beefy, it does give the model a lopsided look which 







These are pretty much the worst mold lines on the whole model and they are very manageable. 


This piping connects the clamp arm to the body to power it, you might need to bend it slightly to make it fit.


Scallywag comes in a lot of parts...


The body is made from resin and the detail is amazing, I have two Buccaneers and they aren't anywhere near this crisp.


The detail around the boiler is especially nice.


Slight mold line on the boiler and smoke stack, this should come off easily though.


Resin injection ports are on the underside of the body which is great to hide any lost detail should I cut too deep when removing them.



The hip part is separate which is different from the old buccaneer which has it attached to the torso.




The legs are really thin and I get the feeling that I will want to pin them, which does risk me drilling all the way through them... I can easily repair that should it happen though.



Arms come in two parts, the forearm armour looks a little "Menothy" to me, maybe looted armour plates?



Gun Axe!!! This is a really cool weapon.



I love that they went to the trouble of sculpting the warjacks finger going through a trigger guard, most warjacks ranged weapons are connected internally to allow them to fire them, this is the only one I can think of which has a visible trigger in this style.



Not sure what I think of the skull head for this Jack, I will reserve judgement until I have painted it I guess.



This small part goes on top of the body and it has a tiny version of the Tailon charter crest on it. A nice detail to tie it to Shea


Here they both are after pinning and assembly!


I really like the asymmetrical nature of this model, it really fits the setting.



I feel inspired to build my own if I want to run a list with two of these (they are field allowance 2) as I feel that ironheads are unique pieces of equipment and shouldn't look identical.


Scallywag looks like a murderous little Warjack, I wasn't sure about it from seeing pictures of it online but the model in real life has changed my mind.




I hope you found my look at these models helpful, if you did let me know in a comment or a message. Your feedback is always welcome and helps me get better at making content you want.

As an experiment of sorts I have also done a video review which you can find on YouTube here
If you want to pick up either of these models you can find them here:
Steelhead Ironhead
Scallywag
These links will take you to The Outposts store in the UK which offers great discount on PP models.
I also get a small percentage of any sales referred via my links as an affiliate at no additional cost to you. Its a great way to support my content at no cost to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment