Wednesday 4 August 2021

Failed Experiments: Model Review


Today we take a look at the Failed Experiments who are a Crucible Guard unit for Warmachine and Hordes.
They come in 20 parts, 4 of which are resin the rest are metal parts.



The leader model's body is cast in metal in contrast to the rest of the unit who all have resin bodies.
The skin is covered in scale looking lumps which are some sort or result of the alchemical experiments it had done to it. Its nicely cast in detail but did have a couple of mould lines which took a minute or so to remove, nothing too hard though.






Its arms are noticeably smaller than the other models in the unit which might be a visual representation of it having used a different augmentation chemical compared to the others?



The resin sculpt for this grunt is fantastic, the detail and character in the model just really impress me. 




There is a slight mould slip/line down this side of the model which did take a few minutes to clean away with a sharp hobby knife. 



No weapons for this guy, his hands ARE the weapons! 
I do like the chemical lines which run along the arms ready to inject whatever chemical turn these guys into absolute beasts.



This grunts sculpt has the right leg cast as a separate piece in metal. This is likely due to the rotation of the hip and torso for the pose, allowing the model to look more dynamic and realistic compared to hips and shoulders being perfectly lined up.



The detailing around the piping connected to the chemical backpack is really nicely cast. Such fine detail.





Very slight flashing on the top of the leg piece, its important to remove this to ensure a smooth connection with the resin body otherwise you could end up with a gap between the two parts.


This model is armed with a hammer in one hand, claw hand for the other. They are nicely sculpted, though the size difference between all the hands in this unit is unsettling... it is very much a choice that the designers must have made but I can't help but imagine what these "experiments" must have been like for the participants... 



This is the chemical backpack which two of the sculpts share.


And here they are fully assembled!














And here is a scale shot with Professor Pendrake. They really are hulking brutes, its hard to believe they were once human in terms of the narrative. 
I really like this unit they were easy to assemble and had minimal clean up. Once slight issue I had was when I first opened the blister pack to have a sneaky look before the review. They were so tightly packed into the blister pack I could not get them all back in once I had opened it! I don't know why they got put as a blister pack unit they really could have done with being in a boxed set like other 5 model medium based units. It did concern me that some of the parts might be damaged due to being crammed in like that, however this fear was unfounded as nothing was damaged. 


And finally I thought I would try something new! 
Using money from my generous supporters over at Patreon I purchased a rotating display stand. I like to put the money form supporters back into improving the content I make.
I'm hoping to get better at making these over time, one thing I know I want to save for is a better camera (I currently use my phone).
Please let me know what you think of this addition to my model reviews. 
I also plan to make similar videos for painted model articles.
With that in mind I have another question for you - should I go back and make these videos for models I have already painted?

If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article.
Even if its just $1 it really helps me out

See you all next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment