Sunday 1 August 2021

Ascendant Mentalist: Model Review


Today we take a look at the Ascendant Mentalist who is a Crucible Guard solo for Warmachine and Hordes.
It comes in 3 metal parts.



This largest part includes the models body and a trail of debris which connects the model to the base as a visually interesting flight stand.


The part is really nicely cast with crisp details across the face and straight jacket.



On the underside of the torso you can see a dent, this is where the leg attaches.
The two bumps on the rubble at the bottom of the piece line up to connect the other half of the debris flight stand.



The next largest part is mainly debris as mentioned before, it does also include the right arm and billowing sleeve.





The legs are posed interestingly and remind me somewhat of Storm from the Xmen in the "flight" pose. 




And here she is fully assembled. I did have a slightly tough time getting the arm to fit into the connection on the shoulder while also having the two halves of the basing part level and together. I had to gently bend the floating metal panels until the parts lined up nicely. 
I fully recommend dry fitting this model before using any glue.
And for this reason I also recommend gluing the legs on after gluing on the arm and rubble. 






And a scale shot with Professor Pendrake.

I think that this is a visually stunning model with dynamic built in basing which really gives it a sense of movement and power. The idea that her mental powers are ripping up the ground around her as she floats across the battle field really appeal to me.
This mini did have some slight mould lines but nothing that took more than a couple of minutes to remove from the whole piece. 
If the idea of bricks on the base of your model don't appeal, I suggest covering them up with some putty or green stuff then turning them into soil or sand or whatever matches the basing of your army.
This will still look like its been pulled out of the ground by her powers and the metal sheets will look as if torn from enemy Warjacks or vehicles.


And finally I thought I would try something new! 
Using money from my generous supporters over at Patreon I purchased a rotating display stand. I like to put the money form supporters back into improving the content I make.
I'm hoping to get better at making these over time, one thing I know I want to save for is a better camera (I currently use my phone).
Please let me know what you think of this addition to my model reviews. 
I also plan to make similar videos for painted model articles.
With that in mind I have another question for you - should I go back and make these videos for models I have already painted?

If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article.
Even if its just $1 it really helps me out.

See you all next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment