Saturday 20 January 2024

Cat vs Dog mini Diorama


Up for your viewing pleasure today is a mini diorama I created. It's on a 50mm base, I included a 2p coin in the picture below to show how small it is!



The cat is from a Cygnar Trencher solo I bought years ago but did not put on the models base because I was intimidated to paint it back when I first got it. Now it finds its new forever home in this project.


The dog is from a Greylord minicrate model by Privateer press, it was a limited sculpt which I didn't buy, the dog was given to me as a freebie in a different order. 

The pile of groceries is by Bad Squiddo games, you can find them here


Painting the cat was always going to be a challenge. I had long ago decided to try and paint it like my cat Noodle. My daughter would never forgive me if I didn't!
Here's what my cat looks like for reference. (Shes 13 this year bless her)






Getting in her various markings or at least the suggestion of them was important to me. I think I did well enough to capture her likeness. However the eyes took me forever! I had to repaint them so many times they are so small!






I really enjoyed painting the dog, going with the yellow brown was a fun choice, I would typically in the past have defaulted to a brown or grey for a dog. 








I really like the spread of colours I used for the various supplies piled up. They were a joy to paint, I can fully recommend these if you want to add some detail to your terrain or basing.

I made the cobbles with a greenstuff roller. It seemed to be 3d printed so the stones had lines across them unfortunately. I spent some time smoothing them over so thankfully it doesn't show up too much now. Painting them in various colours helps add to the realism and break up the look of the ground without detracting from the scene.


What do you think of this mini diorama?
I'm really pleased with it, it was a fun challenge to my painting skills and make me feel more confident that I will one day be ready to make my Dungeons and Doggies & Cats and Catacombs minis (which really intimidate me with their tiny size and high detail!)


If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. Or Kofi here. I don't put any finished content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article as well as posting wip projects.
Even if it's just $1 it really helps me out!

See you all next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment