Monday 18 November 2019

Model Review: Thamarite Archon


Today we will take a look at the Thamarite Archon, I was really interested to see if the sculpt was as good as the render that Privateer Press showed off a while back.
For transparency sake I was sent this model to review and paint by Privateer Press.


There are two big resin injection sites on the underneath of the model as well as a small one on a flat part of the cloth just under the right hip. Like a lot of Privateer Press's recent resin models this is great, minimal clean up/chance for details to be lost.



The main body is really nicely detailed with crisp lines, the legs and the flowing cloth around them have defined edges they don't blend into each other at all.


The socket hole the right leg attaches into is nice and deep, this will likely not need to be pinned.


This flat section is where a second resin part of the cloth will attach and flow out in a different direction.


The socket for the bow arm is also nice and deep, I would like to pin this but I doubt I will be able to as I am planning to magnetise the wings and any pin for this arm would need to go through where the magnet will be.


A medium sized mold line running down this part of the cloth, this will take a combination of work with a hobby knife and a file to fix.


The back of the cape has a similar mold line, which will require a little time to smooth out.


The wings are incredible, they are the only archons with feathery wings and these are big. 
I recommend being careful and cutting the resin sprues slightly away from the wings themselves to avoid damaging them.




The is a lot of resin flashing, this is easy to remove with the side of a hobby knife, but it does take time.


This is the second part of the cloth I mentioned earlier, it has one resin plug on the bottom edge, easy to remove, and next to no mold lines.



The Arms and one leg are metal, they are really well cast and have great detail. Like most of PP's recent metals they are really great quality.



The bow and quiver. The bow is a lot beefier than I expected it to be, so I am a lot less worried about it bending and eventually breaking that I thought. The quiver fits on the back of the model. It took me a little while of dry fitting to find the place it fit the best as the quiver has curved groves which line up with the cloth and belts on the body.



That is the worst mold line on the whole model. And it took me less than a minute to fix. 


And here the model is fully assembled! It went together very easily and I'm so impressed with how it looks. I think this might actually be my favourite looking Archon.


It is worth mentioning that I have heard/read a few people mention that their Archon was made from rubbery resin. This one is slightly rubbery, there is play in the tip of the hat, and in the cape part which flicks off backwards from the base. I tried putting that part in the freezer over night to see if this changed anything but it didn't.
I went ahead and fully assembled the model anyway to see if the weight of the full model with its metal parts, the added magnets and wings would cause the model to slowly droop. It didn't, it has been a few days now since I assembled the model and its still looking perfect!
I will add though that the more I handled the model, for example when I was removing the mold lines, the more flexible it became due to heat transferred from my hands. This means I will have to be careful not to leave this model in direct hot sunlight or in the car in summer or it will likely bend in the heat. (Lucky for me I live in the UK and its rarely hot!)









I love the post of this model. The fluid nature of the sculpt conveys motion better than most minis I have seen. I highly recommend this model and have ordered a second myself.
There was more clean up needed on this Archon than the Morrowan one, but not to a level which I felt it was a problem. I didn't have to green stuff repair any mold lines, which is what I have had to do in the past before to some models.

I hope you found my review helpful, if you did please let me know its always great to hear from you.
Like I said when I reviewed the Morrowan Archon, I am working on a guide on how to magnetise them I will likely roll the two Archons into the same guide now, give how the way their wings attach is the same. I did briefly consider magnetising the bow arm but decided against it due to how well the piece attached and had no overhang from the base.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great, can’t wait to see it with some paint on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to painting it too! I will likely wait until the one I've ordered arrives so that I can paint them together

      Delete