Thursday 21 November 2019

Model Review: Void Archon


Today I'm going to take a look at the Void Archon, this model will work in seven different factions, which is the most of any Archon I believe.
Privateer Press sent me to this model to review.


The model has a really interesting corkscrew shape to the sculpt, which I imagine might have been challenging to make from a practical sense. It really does enhance the "wraith" like look to the lower half of the model.



Resin injection ports are mainly on the bottom of the model again which is great, with one small one on the flat part on the back part of the flowing part of the model. Like I have said on previous recent reviews I think this is well designed from a production sense, minimising the clean up needed.



The upper body, especially the head really fit in with the aesthetic of the Convergence of Cyriss faction.


The wings attach into these two slots on the back of the torso, this is different from the other Archons I have looked at. Sadly it does mean that I can't magnetise these ones, I haven't magnets which are small enough but with enough strength to hold the wings on securely. Luckily these wings stick out the least of all the Archons I have looked at so far.


There is a mold line which also has come flashing running down the back of the swirling part, this took a while to clean up but will not be obvious once painted.


The wings come on a resin sprue, I advise cutting a small distance away from the actual wings to remove them from the sprue. This helps to ensure that they don't get damaged. Then clean up the area they attached afterwards.


One of the wings was slightly bent. To fix it I poured some hot water over it, straightened it then ran it under cold water.



The is slight resin flashing on the edges of the wings which came off just by running the side of a hobby knife down them gently.


The arms are the only metal parts in this model, they are well cast with very minimal mold lines 30 seconds clean up tops.
It did take me a few seconds to figure out how to attach them correctly, their is a triangle ish looking part on each one and they fit hanging over the models back sort of like a shoulder blade. I hope that helps.



And here the Void Archon is fully assembled and cleaned up. It really is an awesome looking model, with crisp clean lines. 








The Void Archon works for more factions than any other, it also has great rules on the table. For those reasons I expect to see them on the table a lot which is a great thing with a model this cool looking.

I hope you found this review helpful, if you did please be sure to let me know I always appreciate your feedback.


No comments:

Post a Comment