Monday 19 October 2020

Swamp Gobber River Raiders Painted


So I finished off a lot of Gobbers!!! Among this lot are 9 River Raiders, the Gobbers from the two Iron Kingdoms board games; Undercity & Widowers Wood and finally a IKRPG character who is very dear to my heart.


The River Raiders are a lovely set of models, you get three in a blister pack and their heads are separate which allows you to mix and match them to have all nine look different! 
I love this and posed each one a little bit differently as well to really help make them look unique as well as mixing up the colours used to paint them.

I painted all the Gobbers together by picking a random colour (out of a set I had picked which I thought appropriate for various clothing) and then painting a different piece of clothing that colour on each Gobber. A wrist band on one, then shorts on the next, vest on another... I did this with a lot of different colours to break up any uniformity.
Its the same technique I used when I painted my pirate models, which I found worked well.


These guys have the "beanie hat" looking head, which is my least favourite but don't mistake me here,,, I still love them! All my Gobbers are precious to me...



I love the screaming eye patch head, I think it might be my favourite!



Tricorn hat and cigar has a lot of charm as well though... Gobbers truly are a joy to paint.



I tried my best to paint a lit cigar with an orange thin line followed by grey ash at the end. I'm pleased with how it turned out.


Next up are the Gobbers from the Undercity board game, Pog is the Player character mechanik who controls the groups Warjack Doorstop (Which I haven't finished painting yet)

Pog's model is based off a Cygnar Gobber field mechanik with the following alterations (that I can see, there may be more) the left hand and helmet its holding have been replaced with the arm holding the oil can. Where the helmet would have been a "flight cap" looking hat with goggles has been added. A Trencher backpack has been added.
There is some missing detail and areas where things blend together with these three as they are the oldest of PP's board game minis.

The Gobber cutthroats are the same sculpt as an old IKRPG model. I painted their scabbards the same colour as the plastic they are made from as this is how you know which to activate at what time during the game. I also painted the line on the base arcs that same colour.



These are the gobbers which are included in the Widowers Wood board game. I found the colour swapping technique for different parts of their clothes. 
I painted the eye patch/bandana's the same colours as their plastic but this time there is also the purple one for the "boss gobber".




And this little guy is Rez who was my old IKRPG character. The model is the old metal IKRPG model which the Undercity ones are the same sculpt as. I converted the model slightly by removing the dagger from the right hand and replacing it with an old Ork stick bomb and I added a second one to his belt. (to represent a grenade) I also cut off the pointed hood from his back and added a backpack with a coil of rope. (every good adventurer needs a coil of rope!) He is an Intellectual Alchemist thief and I miss him... (he may return one day...)

This metal model has better sculpted detail than the board game plastic ones do, and as he is my character I spent more time painting him. 


What do you think of my gobbers? I know I have a soft spot for the little guys!

It took me a long time to get these painted but I'm really glad that I did and really look forward to using the River Raiders with both my Minions and Pirate armies.

If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article.




See you all next time!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment