Tuesday 13 October 2020

Model Review: Helga on Wheels



Helga on Wheels is a Scout class hero in Riot Quest and a Minions Warlock in Hordes.
She comes in five parts, two resin and three metal.
She is one of the coolest concept to model processes I've seen in a while... the Hog on a Hog!!!



The big front wheel is a really impressive sculpt, the details go really deep into the wheel. The Bikes engine and gas tank are nicely detailed with rivets and other small things.


The resin ports for this part are on the bottom of the wheel, and on the flat parts of the gas tank. Both great places to avoid ruining details.





The rear of the bike includes the exhausts, wheel and seat. It's got some really nice detail and extra things like wrapping on the pipes which make it look "used", like its got some mileage behind it.


There are slight mould lines on this, which scraped off easily with a hobby knife. I had to be careful around the detailing on the pipes though.




The front forks, and right handle bar are cast in metal. There is flashing in the gap toward the front, in-between the spike details. I cut this away with a knife then filed it smooth.




The speedometer and various other dials are a really nice detail here. I'm going to try and paint them up nicely.



Helga's left arm is gripping the handlebar and has a chain wrapped around it. No loss of detail in the chain which is good.



Without having her sitting on the bike Helga looks a bit odd to me, the way her legs are posed... but once she's seated it all makes more sense visually. There are footrests attached to the bottom of her hooves which slot into the sides of the bike. I found I had to gentle bend her legs apart to fit her onto the bike, then pinched the feet together into the chassis to glue her in place securely.





Flowing hair meets the trim of her coat it seems here. This might be hard to paint, its hard for me to tell at this stage.


I like her goggles, and the plait of hair you can see here is a link to her previous form a little.



The goofiest part of this model in my mind,,, the <3 Carver and the denim jeans... I think they are cool in the context of Riot Quest, but can understand people not liking them in Warmahordes.


And here she is fully assembled. She really is a big model! Easily the largest Riot Quest mini I've gotten so far. 




I added some greenstuff to her base to help secure the front wheel to the base as it overhangs a tiny bit. I sculpted it roughly to look like dirt being spun out as the wheel digs into the ground. (It should hopefully look better once the sand is added!)




And here she is with Professor Pendrake for scale.

I really like how she looks, though I have to admit I'm more than a little intimidated to paint her! That's a lot of model to pick colours for...
She is a lovely quality model and assembles remarkably easily considering the size and dynamic nature of the model.

If you want to pick them up for yourself you can find them here at The Outpost (a UK webstore I'm affiliated with)


If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article.




See you all next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment