Thursday 2 September 2021

Tree of Despair Painted


Here is my Tree of Despair by Reaper Miniatures finished up.
I mounted it on a 120mm MDF base.
I intend this model to be the finale of a RPG storyline (but won't say more than that because spoilers...)
I also plan to write a custom Warmachine scenario using it as a main objective of the battle.



I did debate craving runes into the tree removing sections of bark such as can be seen on the Gallows grove and Wurmwood. I decided not to in the end due to the additional time and complication, I doubted my ability to make it look good enough to risk ruining it.


I used many different colours of dry brushing and washes to get the back to a look I was happy with. It's harder to see by photos but there is a green algae/moss look to the lower parts of the tree which I'm pleased with.  





The lady who is the unfortunate sacrifice had a couple of small holes in her leg, likely due to some casting defect, but I turned it into a feature by painting it as if they are wounds with blood trickling down her leg.


I added this hanging skeleton torso from the Gallows grove to add a bit more detail. It is a little bit delicate, but I feel like this model will be getting handled very little so I'm not too worried about it breaking. 


There are a bunch of skulls embedded down by the roots which really add to the look and add nice colour variation.



I'm not entirely sold on the various foliage I added to the basing, It feels a bit all over the place to me right now. I am considering changing it at some point but I am in no rush and want to give it some time to see how it feels after some time.


I'm really pleased to have finished up another larger model from my "pile of opportunity"...
Look out for scenario rules and a IKRPG one shot using this model at some point. 
The more people who seem keen on this idea the more likely it is to happen sooner to be honest. 
If someone really wanted it done quicker they could always request it in the Patreon poll which will be starting up again soon.

And finally I thought I would try something new! 
Using money from my generous supporters over at Patreon I purchased a rotating display stand. I like to put the money from supporters back into improving the content I make.
I'm hoping to get better at making these over time, one thing I know I want to save for is a better camera (I currently use my phone).
Please let me know what you think of this addition to my painted model articles.
If you like it please like, comment and subscribe on Youtube it really does help with letting Youtube know its a video worth suggesting to other hobbyists. (And it upsets Mike...)

If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any finished content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article as well as posting wip projects.
Even if its just $1 it really helps me out!

See you all next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment