Tuesday 21 September 2021

"Menace vs Maniak" Riot Quest Diorama


Today I am delighted to show you a diorama I have wanted to make since I first saw these miniatures teased on the Riot Quest Kickstarter a long time ago. Originally I had intended this display plinth to be used for a different diorama, but now the scope and size of that one has been increased substantially so I figured I would use it for this project instead.
So I present to you "Menace vs Maniak" a Riot Quest Diorama!


When painting the two characters I based their colour schemes on their Gear cards from the game they are from, Riot Quest.


My thought was that they are fighting over this treasure horde inside a ship, perhaps one of the two from the Hullgrinder map.






The Mechanikal Maniak was pretty straightforward to paint. I did try to add the slight ice looking effects to the axe blades edge. I didn't go as far with the weathering compared to the cards art, but I'm happy with how it turned out.




Personally I always thought that the hardest part of this project for me would always be painting this bunny, the Dhunian Menace. I'm over the moon with how it turned out, I think it fits the card art as well as I could at my skill level. I really like how the eyes look as well as the weathered metal of the axe and helmet.




The floofy tail was important to get looking right... I love how it looks.


I used the large coin pile and the three smaller piles which came as rewards in the "Loot vault" part of the Riot quest Kickstarter.


I really love the detail that's been sculpted into these treasure piles. While I was painting them I kept finding more and more gems to paint! I did pick all the colours I wanted to use for gems then randomly pick which one was each colour while trying to keep it looking relatively random looking.









I rearranged the layout of the treasure piles following a suggestion from Soul Samurai on Discord, who said it would look better if the smaller piles were connected to the large one (I had shown a work in progress picture in which the three small piles were scattered about the area). I tried it out and agreed so here we are! Thanks to you Soul Samurai!

I am really happy with this diorama and I hope you like it too!
Please drop a comment or share it with someone you think might like to see it!
I think this video is well worth a watch as well to give a real sense of the scene as its tricky to get everything into focus at once so seeing things from fluid angles helps I think.



Using money from my generous supporters over at Patreon I purchased a rotating display stand. I like to put the money from supporters back into improving the content I make.
I'm hoping to get better at making these over time, one thing I know I want to save for is a better camera (I currently use my phone).
Please let me know what you think of this addition to my painted model articles.
If you like it please like, comment and subscribe on Youtube it really does help with letting Youtube know its a video worth suggesting to other hobbyists. (And it upsets Mike...)

If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any finished content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article as well as posting wip projects.
Even if its just $1 it really helps me out!

Currently my Patrons are voting on which project I will be working on next out of the following options from my wip "to do" list:
Feora4 & Mechanoshredder
18 Croaks (10 Raiders, 4 Trappers, 2 Hunters, Mire & Flugwug)
2 Units of Resolutes (10 models)
Alexia Graveyard Dirorama
2 Units of Legion of lost souls (20 models)
Diffuser & Mitigator
Totem Huntress

See you all next time!

2 comments:

  1. God that looks good! Great job on both the paintjob and the plinth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I'm really happy with how it turned out

      Delete