Saturday 13 June 2020

Model Review: Order of Illumination Resolutes


Today we take a look at the Order of Illumination Resolutes, they are a Mercenary unit which will work for Mercenaries, Crucible Guard, Khador and Cygnar (When used in a Cygnar army they are considered Cygnar models)

I've been excited for them since they announced them as Cygnar has been lacking medium based infantry for as long as the game has existed. 


These are all the parts that they come in. They are completely metal, which surprised me to be honest, I expected the bodies to be resin.


This is the body for the grunt who will be holding a rifle


Decent sized furnace to power their armour, which will be getting a fire effect painted in it


I really like the helmet design for this armour, the recessed eyes will be neat to paint with a glow effect I think.


Lovely Morrowan symbols on the upper leg armour, this will be nice to paint up to add interesting detail compared to just flat amour plates.


The gun with its right arm as well as the sword in a leather holster which attaches to the models back. The majourity of the sword is visible as its not a complete scabbard style of stowing a weapon. I like this given the size of the sword.


The gun arm has an interesting bar style attachment point which works well, but you might find that you need to do slight gap filling with green stuff.



This is the other grunt design which will be holding its sword in one hand and a clenched fist for the other.



This one gets a hand holding a sword, the clenched fist and a slung rifle. The arm holding the sword is slightly hard to get to attach. I would recommend pinning it you can make it slightly easier by making a second attachment point of the pommel of the sword touching the upper leg armour. I found this helped.



And this is the body of the leader model. It has extra filigree on the chest plate compared to the grunts.



The attachment points for the arms are flat circles. I tried just gluing after scoring them but found the arms were quite likely to fall off again. Likely due to their weight and the angle they stick out at. I ended up pinning them to ensure they don't come off again.
The head fits on nicely with no worries.





The helmet design is the same overall but with the Morrowan radiance on the forehead just near where the plume attaches.



The leaders weapons are the same, though they have both drawn at the same time. The shoulder pads are larger however and the left one has extra filigree as well.





Here they are fully assembled! 


Here is a scale shot with Professor Pendrake, they are pretty big! Which is consistent with the other steam powered armoured soldiers in the Iron Kingdoms.









I like the way the two different grunt styles have different weapons drawn and have the others stowed on their backs in a sort of realistic way. I say sort of... because there is no way they can draw those weapons! Given the limited range of movement in a full set of steam powered armour they wouldn't be able to reach over their shoulders like that. I imagine they draw each others weapons or have attendants (who aren't important enough to have their own miniature during a game).





I really love how these look, the detail is amazing and I know they will be a struggle for me to paint the way I want but I also know that the time spent on them will be well worth it!

They did have some slight mould lines but nothing serious enough to complain about, the casting quality was really nice.
I have picked up two units of these and look forward to trying them out with a variety of Warcasters both in Mercs and Cygnar.

If you want to pick them up for yourself you can find them here at The Outpost (a UK webstore I'm affiliated with)

If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article.

See you all next time!




2 comments:

  1. Any chance on a upcoming blog reviewing the rules for these models? I have not seen a lot of conversation on using them on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be up for doing that!
      At the moment I'm mainly using my writing time to work on whatever my Patreon members vote I write about next.
      But they might choose it at some point!

      Delete