Thursday 19 November 2020

Model Review: Thrullg


So we have a bit of a retro review today! While I'm sure a lot of people might already have a Thrullg I figured I might as well write up a review while I was assembling my second one!
The Thrullg comes in four metal parts as seen above.




The body is very muscular and has a kind of "skinned" look to it. It really benefits from drybrushing.



There is some flashing/mould lines left on the underneath of the tail and back of the left leg, I had to gently carve this off then filing it down smooth.





Lovely fine detail in the suckers on its face tentacles.


Snarling mouth and saucer eyes give this beast an alien like appearance,


The arms have slight mould lines running down them but easy enough to fill done.



The attachment points on both arms are slight right angles with a small bump and dent style. They attach reasonably well but some people might prefer to pin them for extra security.


Here is is fully assembled. You can pose the tentacles somewhat by bending them, though I would caution not bending too much or they could break.



There are slight gaps in the join between arms and torso, but from experience these don't show up once painted so I don't feel the need to gap fill them.


The feet are on a sort of mini little base for each to keep the thin clawed toes from losing detail most likely. I recommend using greenstuff or some other putty to smooth the transition between them and the base they are on to make it less obvious.


Here is a scale shot with Professor Pendrake, the Thrullg is a decently sized monster.


I figured I might as well also show it alongside my painted one, I will be painting this one in the same style. I will likely end up painting it when I next paint glow effects as these use the same colours. (This will likely be when I paint Nemo4 and his Warjacks)

The Thrullg is a decent sculpt though the moulds might be showing their age based on the mould lines/flashing. The arms are posed a bit goofily in a gangly off to the side kind of look. They aren't easy to repose without considerable resculpting (which I considered but didn't want to spend the time on it)

I hope you found this retro review interesting/helpful, if you did please let me know!

If you want to pick them up for yourself you can find them here at The Outpost (a UK webstore I'm affiliated with)

If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article.

See you all next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment