Sunday 1 March 2020

Model Review: J.A.I.M.s & Orsus the Chained


Today's review is a bit delayed due to last years "real life" events that I won't go into here. This is J.A.I.M.s and Orsus the Chained (or Butcher4 in Warmachine).
It was a bit strange ordering these two as I have no intention of ever playing them in Warmachine and Hordes! When I placed the order to get these I had been playing Riot Quest for a while and it had grabbed my interest enough to make me want to buy minis for it that I only intended to use for Riot Quest.
This is not what I expected I would do to be honest, I expected to just buy the ones which work for the Warmachine and Hordes factions I play, but as time went on I wanted to try out these heroes so ended up getting them.


Jaims (I'm not doing the odd way of typing it out anymore,,,) comes in four parts as seen here.


The main body is posed in a striding forward pose, the detail in the mechanical body parts is really nice. There are multiple areas with deeply recessed cog and gear details.


There is a mould line running down each leg which took a few minutes of filling to get rid of, nothing too serious though.




The attachment points for the arms are fairly deep and the arms themselves don't weigh much so they don't "require" pinning. (I still often pin things anyway because I have a problem)


The attachment point for the head is a little shallower than the arms, if you have the ability to pin models I would recommend pinning this just to be on the safe side.


The head has a sort of crown of spikes, which I'm thinking I will alternate in colour between two different metallic colours. The face is sort of like a death shroud. I imagine that it wouldn't be able to express any emotion or move in any way. 




The arms are both posed in a similar way, both slightly curving upwards. They both had very minor mould lines, only a few seconds of clean up here.



And here is Jaims fully assembled




And here is the customary scale shot with Professor Pendrake.
Jaims really is a big model, much taller than I expected. I think she will paint up quite quickly once I pick what colour metallics I want to use. I already know that I will be painting a few parts of her the same glowing blue as my Cygnars Mechanikal tech.


Orsus the Chained (I'm going to just call him the butcher from now on) comes in three pieces.


The main body has some interesting details which are call backs to his previous incarnations in Warmachine. His hunting horn, the scraps of armour he has left and the trio of skulls on this waist.




Someone at some point in the Riot Quest timeline has attached a chain to the back of his collar and his fell axe is chained to his wrist. He is also now topless like other doomreavers... something pretty bad much have happened to have led them to turn Butcher into a doomreaver.


Painting him will be quite the lesson in painting flesh tones.




So Butcher has lost Lola and now has a fell axe. This is really nicely detailed with loads of the screaming faces that Orgoth weapons like this all have.



This part is butchers left arm, which still retains its armoured gauntlet. 



My Butcher had a pretty rough mould line running all the way from one shoulder - across the head and to the other shoulder. As well as down both sides of his torso. It took me about 10 mins to clean this up with a hobby file.




The axe also has a mould line, as this one is on flatter surfaces it cleaned up really quickly.


And here he is fully assembled. I would personally recommend pinning both arms if you can, as both arms are a little tricky to get to stay on without worrying that they might come off again.




I don't typically do Pendrake scale shots with human models but Butcher is such a big guy I figured it was worth showing!

It was strange for me to buy and intend to paint (they are WIP atm) models which aren't for my Warmahordes factions, but they are great fun to use in Riot Quest so I am glad to have them.
Also it is pretty fun to paint something different for a change.

What do you think of these two? If you have and thoughts or feedback please let me know its always great to hear from you.

If you want to pick these up for yourself you can find butcher here
These both link to The Outpost (a UK webstore I'm affiliated with)

No comments:

Post a Comment