Sunday 15 March 2020

Model Review: Weird Wendell & Spawn Gate Expansion


Today we take a look at Weird Wendell and the Spawn gate expansion, I was so pleased when these were announced as I had been trying to figure out how to make my own as I love having 3D decorative elements in my games.
Privateer Press sent me these to review, paint and try out so big thanks to them!


This expansion to Riot Quest comes with six spawn gate a new deck of bounties and Weird Wendell and his stat card and Riot Gear.
Wendell comes in two metal parts.


The spawn gates are made of a blue plastic which is flexible. It is the same sort of plastic that the miniatures from the Iron Kingdoms board games are made from.
They look to be made up from 5 parts based on gaps I can see in the models, but they come assembled. 


Every one of them had the same mould lines as you can see here, as they are a softer type of plastic they are a little trickier to remove than on a resin miniature. I used a small hobby file for the most part and a hobby knife to gently cut them off when the file wasn't enough (which only happened a couple of times across all 6)


I lined them all up here to show the slight variance in the angles of the different gates. As they are assembled for you I think it is possible that slight amounts of the plastic sprue was left in some of the connection points leading to the slight differences in the angle of attachment.
This isn't a huge deal to me as you can only really tell if you are lining them all up like this, I just figured I would mention it.




Wendell's body is highly detailed with a backpack full of Gremlins and equipment used to catch them.



Here you can see the "butterfly net" he uses to catch the little trouble makers!
You can also see the attachment point for his right arm, which is a generous round peg and hole attachment. I didn't feel the need to pin this, especially as it also has a second connection point of the grip of his catapult in his left hand. 


Here you can see two gremlins fighting each other to get out of his backpack, they have really characterful sculpts. In Warmachine when he dies they escape and he is replaced with a Gremlin swarm! 


He has rather unfortunate mould lines down both legs, but I managed to remove them quite well using a rounded hobby file.


There is a slight miscast on his face going from his nose to his collar, as this wasn't cast detail it came off quite easily with the tip of a craft knife - a little gentle filling and you can't even tell it was ever there.


The gremlin in the catapult looks like a willing volunteer! I guess these little nutters love the chance to create mayhem in new and interesting ways! 




And here he is fully assembled! I really like this mini he has a lot of character I think he will be a lot of fun to paint. 





And here he is next to Professor Pendrake, Wendell is a tall fellow indeed!

I love the spawn gates they really add a lot to the way the game looks I think. I have glued mine onto bases and have started painting them. I'm pleased to report that they take paint really well!

If you want to pick up this expansion for Riot Quest for yourself you can find it here at The Outpost (UK webstore I'm affiliated with)

No comments:

Post a Comment