Saturday 28 March 2020

Reaper Miniature Goblins Painted


A while back I finished painting 33 Reaper miniatures Goblins I got as part of the Bones 4 kickstarter. I never got round to posting them up here but now I guess I have found time!
I did not paint them to my typical standard of painting for a few reasons.
1. They are small, really small. It made getting details like eyes done not something I wanted to do 66 times.
2. The quality of their sculpts isn't the best. They are made of the older Reaper Bones plastic which means they are flexible. This makes removing mould lines really difficult on such small models. Also meant that a lot of their weapons have bends in them.
3. They will only be throw away grunt enemies in RPG's anyway. I'm not planning on using them as big boss battles or important encounters so it felt like a waste of my time to spend extra time on them.

With that said lets take a look at them and share some thoughts!


Here is my customary scale shot with Professor Pendrake. I also included a few Gobbers from the Warmachine and Hordes miniature line (which is what these Goblins will be representing)
They are noticeably smaller. I'm not too worried about this though tbh I see them more representing what is in the encounter than exactly its size. Some large monsters have miniatures which have scaled them down as well after all.

They are also on bases which are smaller than is typical for the IKRPG but again I'm not too worried. As a GM I'm not a stickler for exact rules if it gets in the way of fun or practicality.


Double handed swords, these guys had no particular issues to be honest - nice and easy.



Mace and shield. These have decent little wooden shields that look home made.



The spears on these ones are nearly all bent downwards a bit. Not enough to make me bother heating them up straightening then cooling though...



These ones have metal shields. I considered having them painted in different colours but decided to go with rusty metal instead.



All of these Goblins I painted at the same time as a huge batch paint. I would pick a colour and go down the line painting it on a random piece of armour or cloth on each goblin. I wanted them to not be all exactly the same and this seemed the easiest way to achieve that.



A bit of ranged support for the Goblins... I'm not expecting them to be much of a threat to the party though...



The armoured goblins are all unique sculpts. They look like they got their armour from the bodies of people they defeated. I made sure to paint it to look rusty and dirty.



Here are the unique non armoured goblins, the shaman on the left I'm not 100% how I will use and Gobbers in the IKRPG can't use magic... I'm sure I will figure something out.



And the big boss Goblin! I did put this guy on a base which is "correct" for the IKRPG mainly as he is a bit bigger than the rest of them it sets him apart as the leader. He has claimed all the best armour from the defeated, though it is still mismatched which I really like.




What do you think of these Goblins?
Like I said, I plan on using them as Gobbers or maybe Bogrin in the IKRPG. I've a few thoughts on fun and interesting encounters for using them.
If enough people would like, I could write some of them down as vignettes which you could use in your own campaigns if you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment