Wednesday 10 February 2021

Iron Kingdoms RPG Adventuring Party Competition Greenstuff & Conversions: The Grey Lanterns: Part 3


This is the third hobby session for my entry into the Iron Kingdoms Party painting contest run by the "Warmachine and Hordes Painting" Facebook group (you can find it here

Konstantine's model arrived today so he was a big focus of this session to get him caught up with the other minis.


I gathered up the parts I knew I would use for Konstantine including multiple options.
I had a question on discord from Nindokag asking how my players react to these conversions and if I let them see wip progress or just show them the finished mini and also if I ask them for their feedback.
I answered them on discord but thought it was a good thing to bring up here as well so others can know my process as well.
So far my players have been happy with the minis I have made to represent their characters (unless they are lying to me?!?!?)
I do show them wip pictures on our discord, and I nearly always ask for their opinions especially listening to the feedback of the player who's character I'm working on.

And here is a good example! I wanted to know which backpack fits Konstantine's character best, so I asked his player sending him all these options.











While he still wears his Winter Guard armour, he has been a member of the Grey Lanterns for a long time, so the Khadoran symbols will need to be removed. He will keep the one on his hat though as it is a removable part of his kit and more of a memento.



I carved them off with a hobby knife then filed them smooth. Later I will attempt to sculpt a Grey Lanterns logo on the left shoulder pad.


I need the large cuff of his sleeve but don't want him holding the binoculars so they need cutting off. I was careful not to damage them though as they will go into the bits box for some future project.

The next choice I gave the player was how he will be armed! In game he heavily favours pistols (Hand cannons especially) but he also owns a sabre which is a family heirloom.


The player picked this option with pistol pointed and sword raised.




I also have a scabbard with sword if double pistol had been picked and empty scabbard if he's holding the sword.


The pistol comes from the Caine2's model. I wanted to see if I could convert this pistol to look like the special gun he owns in the campaign.
Konstantine is in possession of a unique hand cannon which thirsts to finish ending a life. (It does more damage to targets which are already damaged) It has a skull on the muzzle typically I described the bullets coming out of its "mouth" (The gun also has an effect on the character to make them never wish to have it leave their side. Its precious to him...) 


This is the smallest skull part I could find.


I drilled out the back of it to be able to put it on the end of the barrel.


Here is how it looks assembled.



I was really torn on this and to be honest I wasn't happy with how it looked. I checked in with the player and he agreed. So its been removed. I included this in this post because I think its important to show that not everything will always work with conversions. Sometimes I scrap entire models because I find they don't meet up to my mental image of what I wanted to make.

I did trim down the "chamber" section bumps so it doesn't look like it has an ammo wheel. and I filed down the pitted part under the barrel to make it smooth metal.


I pinned the sword and pistol onto the arms to ensure they stay on.


I tired to sculpt a tiny Grey Lanterns logo onto his shoulder, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.


And here he is "fully assembled", there might be other small details I add to him, but as far as the things I thought he HAS to have he is done!






While I had the green stuff out I added a Grey Lanterns logo to Joston's shoulder pad as well to help tie the party together. Most of the party won't have the logo on them however as they either don't have anywhere it would look right or aren't the sort of characters who would have armour with symbols on.


I also made a bit more progress in sculpting Joston's Express gun. Most of this will be in the large holster on his back so it doesn't have to look perfect.
I'm still not sure I have the skills to make this gun look good enough to keep on the model. I will still keep trying but this might get scrapped completely.


I'm pushing time with this project! I have 18 days left to get them all painted up for the competition. Just to measure expectations I won't be doing long form blog posts with daily painting updates as I tend to be a strange batch painter and often days can go by without any apparent progress I will post picture updates on my various social media pages (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and so on) so follow me on your platform of choice if you want to see the painting updates!

The converting is pretty much done now except that big gun so I don't know if there will be another conversion post.

If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article.


See you all next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment