Saturday 6 February 2021

Model Review: Gudrun The Wasted



Today we take a look at Gudrun the Wasted who is a Scout class hero in Riot Quest and a Solo in Warmachine and Hordes.
He comes in four parts, three metal and one resin.


The upper body is resin and it is beautifully detailed with many deep recesses into the model. His face is nicely detailed and a great carry over from his first version in not showing his upper face.


The attachment point for the left arm is a large round nub, which will offer a good secure fit. You could pin this if you wanted but I doubt it "needs" it.


The cape flows nicely in an interesting off to the side style which gives the impression of wind in my mind.


The attachment point for the right hand and weapon is a long peg style. It will also likely be a decent attachment. Pin if you feel the need.


There are two resin injection ports on the top of his hood. I saw a lot of moaning about this on social media before I received mine (Living in the UK I got my models about a month or so later than US players). It made me worry that removing these would damage detail in some way.
When looking at the model closely however the lower one is actually attached on the surface which would be covered by the arm once its glued on so its a non issue.
The one on the top of the hood actually cleaned up really easily (you can see in pictures later on) I do recommend a sharp knife though.


There is also a resin injection port on the waist attachment point, which is easy to remove and doesn't affect detail at all. The attachment to the legs is really good.


The legs are metal and I felt that they were a bit "dumpy" before I glued them onto the body. I think this is because the part is cut off below the hips and groin which is unusual.



His left arm is nicely detailed with armour plating which is similar to the previous version of the character, this ties them together more thematically which is nice.



The right hand and maul is nicely detailed as well, there are various bits of mechanikal tech all over it. I've no clue how it works and I doubt he does either!




And here he is fully assembled!






And here is the scale shot with Professor Pendrake
Gudrun is a really nice mini, I plan to use him both in Riot Quest and with my Minions army. I think he could be really good with Azazello or Barny2 to help keep the caster a bit safer from guns and is no slouch as a combat solo too!


I wanted to also note the new packaging for this wave of Riot Quest minis. Fully cardboard with a Replaceable front panel (which is the art card with the same section of fluff for the mini) means that every Riot Quest mini can use the same packaging. As well as there being no plastic packaging!
This does have the slight downside that shipping them in padded envelopes could lead to the packaging being crushed where as the old plastic blister packs had no problems with this. But that's a small price to pay to be more environmentally friendly.
If you want to pick them up for yourself you can find them here at The Outpost (a UK webstore I'm affiliated with)


If you want to support my content consider taking a look at my Patreon which you can find here. I don't put any content behind a paywall but I do offer rewards to people who support me in ways like getting to vote on what content I work on in the future or outright just picking the next subject of an article.


See you all next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment